“Life is like sailing. You can use any wind to go in any direction.” – Robert Brault
Are we sailing North on purpose, or is it because the wind is taking us that way?
Life will throw its curveballs. It’s unseen illnesses, injuries, and schedule conflicts. But it is a choice to allow those to change our cardinal direction. There is always a way to continue in the direction we want.
When the challenge strikes, we don’t adjust the goal. We adjust the sails.
Strength – 15 minutes
Build to a heavy 3 rep deadlfit
- 15 minutes to build to a heavy triple
- Looking to complete 7-10 sets, or one set every 1:30-2:00
- Best time for coaches to see and correct deadlift form before the workout begins
Benchmark WOD – 15 min cap
*reminder – you will see benchmark workouts again. Please score this on SugarWOD or write it down so you can test your fitness over time, and see your progress, as we always do benchmark workout every 6 months or so.
21-15-9 reps of…
400 Meter Run
- Two part, deadlift focused workout
- Looking for an 8-10 minute workout
- Choose a weight in the metcon you can complete each set with no more than 1 break
- If unable to run, complete one of the following:
- 28/20 Calorie Bike
- 500m Row
Lean & Pull
We’ll use a moderately-heavy band against the rig to feel out a proper lean and pull for our run. The band allows athletes to better feel the lean forward that we’ll utilize on our runs today. It also helps coaches see and correct movement, as athletes aren’t running away from them. Especially on a workout that also includes deadlifts, we want to ensure that the lean happens at the ankles and not at the hips. Leaning at the hips is more taxing on the lower back and makes it harder to run efficiently. Some things to think about during this drill:
- Lean from the ankles
- Pull feet under the hips
- Minimize the amount of time the feet spend on the ground
Keeping Tension & The Bar Close
We’ll also use the band to help athletes practice active lats in the deadlift, which enables them keep tension in the back and maintain a close bar path. See the daily video for a visual of both banded drills used in today’s movement prep.
- Adjust run pace to go big on the barbell (1-2 quick sets)
- Set yourself up to thrive on the round of 15 deadlifts and the 400 meter run that follows
- Hold back a touch on the first round, smash the second round, finish strong on the shorter third round
*Reminder – An endurance workout is offered every Tue and Thur alongside our regular workout. These endurance workouts typically include a longer time duration, lighter weights combined with extra running, rowing or air biking. If you do not finish them or feel they are too challenging due to total time of work, feel free to scale or adjust the time occasionally.
CFR Endurance WOD – 35 min cap
For time up and then down the ladder…
20 Deadlifts 185/135
400m Ski Erg
20 Ring Dips
20 Deadlift 225/155
800m Ski Erg
20 Ring Dips
… after the 20 dips, work back down the ladder, 800m erg, 20 deads, 800m run… and so forth…