*The daily workout and endurance workout will be the same today!
“You’re not your job. You’re not how much money you have in the bank. You’re not the car you drive. You’re not the contents of your wallet. You’re not your (expletive) khakis.” – “Fight Club” (Movie)
The football player wears shoulder pads and a helmet. The chef puts on an apron. The accountant brings a suitcase everywhere she goes. These are materialistic identifiables, but it tells us nothing about who they really are.
If we were to strip ourselves of all materials, who are we? If we were to take away our job, our possessions… how would one describe us?
Let character be what defines us. Let it be our loudest statement.
Conditioning WOD – 35 min cap
3 rounds for time of…
50/35 Calorie Machine
400m Med Ball Run
200 Meter Farmers Carry (70s/55s)
*If raining, you will do 40 ball slams 30/20 instead of the med ball run and 1 minute accumulated front rack double KB hold (KBs cleaned into front rack position then hold while standing upright for a total of 1 minute. If you break, that’s fine. Just pick up where you left off)
WORKOUT BRIEF [0:00 – 5:00]
- Today’s workout is a longer effort that involves 3 fairly simple movements
- The simplicity and low impact of these movements will allow you to keep moving forward after 3 hard days of training in a row
- The intended time range for this workout is between 25-35 minutes
- Two kettlebells are prescribed for this piece, but you can also use dumbbells based on equipment availability
- This should be a weight that you are capable of carrying for 200 meters unbroken when fresh
Short & Choppy
While we wanted long drives on the machines, we aren’t looking for long steps on the farmers carry. The best approach here is to take short, choppy steps with soft knees to keep the weight balanced. We’ll move from the heels to the toes with each step. The size of the step is relative to how tall athletes are, but it should feel like a comfortable and stable walking position. Going excessively too short is just as bad as going excessively too long. Find the natural, balanced length.
The weight of the kettlebells is wanting to pull us forward into a rounded position. As we move forward, we have to fight gravity to stay upright. Pull the shoulders back and reach the head as far away from the kettlbells as you can. While it’s a more difficult position to hold, it’s the position we want to reinforce.
STRATEGY + WOD [24:00 – 60:00]
- This workout is all about staying in the present moment
- With longer efforts on each station, it’s easy to lose focus
- With a loss of focus can come a loss of intensity
- Creating smaller checkpoints can make this long workout feel more manageable
- Rather than thinking of the machines as 50 calories, you can think of them as 5 sets of 10
- Rather than thinking of the carries as 200 meters, focus on getting to a physical landmark before deciding whether to drop or keep going
- Don’t look too far ahead, just focus on getting to that next checkpoint