Grab your #YouChoose bracelet for FREE up front at CFR!
For those new to this, one of the best moves we ever made for our gym was to put the culture we practice, on an official bracelet. We came up with the “You Choose” campaign, giving these bracelets to our members for FREE for almost four years…🙏
We ask that everyone wear one for physical accountability to daily CHOOSE a thankful, complaint-free, gossip-free, judgement-free, and drama-free lifestyle inside and outside of the four walls. To be a positive influence as best they can and change our area and beyond through real action serving and speaking life into others😊
Here at CrossFit Republic we have one powerful, gracious, and unified family lifting each other up. Those who come in with a negative viewpoint or toxic behavior either change or leave because this community won’t feed into it.👍
None of us are perfect, and all have bad days… but if this sounds like something you could use in your life, either come join us, or use this as a nudge to start CHOOSING daily to lead by example and let your actions speak! It’ll change you and the people around you and leave a legacy that counts.❤️ #YouChoose
“One can have no smaller or greater mastery, than mastery of oneself.” –Leonardo DiVinci
Leonardi DiVinci was one of the first documented individuals to believe that humans could take flight.
Before it was invented… talk about a nightmarish idea. The thought of hurling ourselves into the air, like a bird, with no guarantee of landing. For him to write the above quote, speaks to his greatest accomplishment – his mastery over his mind. He well knew of the risks, and well recognized the fears. But he believed it to be possible regardless.
It’s good to acknowledge the primary job of our brain – to keep us safe.
It’s going to aim to convince us that we want to avoid risk, danger, and failure.
The saying “it’s you versus you” couldn’t be truer.
It’s not the competition that will beat us. It will only be ourselves.
Strength – 15 minutes
Build to Heavy Set of 8
BARBELL BENCH PRESS [25:00-40:00]
- Athletes will have 15 minutes to build to a heavy set of 8
- Let’s always make sure to have a spotter when benching today
- Look to complete about 5-7 sets, or 1 set every 2-3 minutes
Conditioning WOD – 12 minutes
As many rounds + reps as possible in 12 minutes of…
25 Double Unders
15 Double Dumbbell Deadlifts (50’s/35’s)
25 Double Unders
15 Hand Release Pushups
WORKOUT BRIEF [0:00 – 5:00]
- This two-part workout includes an upper body pressing strength piece followed by a simple conditioning piece
- We’ll have 15 minutes to build to a heavy set of 8 bench press
- Let’s plan on using all the time given to complete about 5-7 working sets
- You can expect to complete about 6-8 rounds in the workout
- This works out to a round every 1:30-2:00
- Choose a rep number or variation that allows you to clear each set on the rope in under 30 seconds
- See the “modifications” section for more options
DOUBLE DUMBBELL DEADLIFTS
- Choose a moderate set of dumbbells that allows you to clear this station in 2 sets each time around
- Only one head of each dumbbell has to make contact outside of the feet in the bottom of each rep
Chest Stretch on Floor: 45 Seconds Each Side
Table Top Stretch: 1 Minute
TEACHING + SPECIFIC WARMUP [15:00 – 25:00]
The first priority on the bench press is having a full grip with the thumb wrapped around the bar. This is the safest position to execute the movement. Let’s avoid having the thumb under, as the weight could easily slip out of the hands.
After you have a full grip, look to maintain a tight grip on the weight. It should be squeezed hard enough that the bar won’t move in your hands. This also contracts the arms, shoulders, and chest muscles harder, which can help increase the weight lifted.
The third aspect to grip is having the bar closer to the wrist than the fingertips. Holding the weight near the base of the palm gives you better leverage to push up on the bar, as it rests directly over the wrists and the elbows.
Let’s also bench press with the butt on the bench. It’s ok if there is a gap between the bench and the lower back, as you can still maintain a natural lumbar curve with this gap. Lifting the butt reduces the range of motion and is essentially the equivalent of using the hips to assist in a strict press, making it more of a push press.
With Empty Bar:
Establish Grip & Set-up Position
10 Slow Bench Press
5 Full Speed Bench Press
When grabbing the handle of the rope, let’s aim to grab high with the thumb and index finger near where the handle meets the rope. The thumb and index finger are the main movers, while the other 3 fingers are simply there for support. Holding high gives us the best control of the rope. When we grab too low, in can be hard to transfer the power from the rotation into the rope. If you have to hold very low on the rope to get the rope around effectively, the arms may be too wide or the rope may be too short.
20 Seconds Single Under Practice
20 Seconds Double Under Practice
DOUBLE DUMBBELL DEADLIFTS
Just like on the rope, we want to grab high on the dumbbells. With the feet narrow, only one head of the dumbbell needs to make contact with the ground outside of the feet. Grabbing high points the lower head of the dumbbell closer to the ground, making for easier floor contact. This makes the movement more like a barbell range of motion, which can lead to a better back position.
With Lighter Dumbbells:*
30 Seconds Slow Deadlifts
STRATEGY + WOD [45:00-60:00]
- In this workout, we can play to the nature of the movements to help maintain a higher intensity
- We can almost think of each round as 3 working stations + 1 active rest station
- Push the pace on the double unders and the deadlifts
- Slow down the pushups to “reload” for the double unders and deadlifts
- This tempo allows us to “recover” on the easiest station in order to work hard on the movements that have the biggest bang for the buck
- Reducing your speed on the pushups should allow you to maintain unbroken sets through the smaller double under sets and lighter deadlifts
- Double Dumbbell Bench Press
- Strict Press
25 DOUBLE UNDERS
- Reduce Reps
- 50 Single Unders
- 30 Seconds of Practice
- 25 Double Taps Video
- 50 Line Hops Video
- 15 Over-and-Back Dumbbell Hops Video
15 DOUBLE DUMBBELL DEADLIFTS
- 30 Single Dumbbell Deadlifts (15 Each Side)
- 15 Barbell Deadlifts (115/85)
CFR Endurance WOD
*Reminder – An endurance workout is offered every Tue and Thur alongside our regular workout. These endurance workouts typically include a longer time duration, lighter weights combined with extra running, rowing, or air biking. If you do not finish them or feel they are too challenging due to total time of work, feel free to scale or adjust the time occasionally.
100 Double Unders
80/60 Calorie Machine
60 Hand Release Pushups (no worming-RX)
20 Deadlift Bar over burpees 185/135 (1 dead + 1 bar over burpee = 1rep)
*Double Unders scale – 200 Singles, 2 minutes DU practice, 200 line hops