“When I write, I feel like an armless, legless man with a crayon in his mouth.” – Kurt Vonnegut
It can be easy to forget that even the greats are full of awkwardness and clumsiness. Yet the man quoted above is known to have changed the face of American literature.
But despite Vonnegut’s success, he didn’t start that way. It was full of fumbles, false starts, and embarrassing mistakes. Yet where others in his shoes stopped, he chose to keep going. Forcing himself to move forward. He kept taking one more step, even when the process did not seem rewarding.
Awkward and clumsy is not just OK… it’s part of the way.
Conditioning WOD – 25 minutes
On the 5:00 x 5 Rounds:
10 Devil’s Press (50’s/35’s)
15 Double Dumbbell Front Squats (50’s/35’s)
20/15 Calorie Bike, 25/18 Cal Row or Ski
WORKOUT BRIEF [0:00 – 5:00]
- A new round begins every 5 minutes in this interval piece [0:00-5:00-10:00-15:00-20:00]
- With rest built in, the goal is to move quickly through these three stations
- Record all round times, as your score is the slowest of the 5 rounds
- Rounds should take less than 4 minutes to complete, allowing for at least 1 minute of rest
Goblet Squats Video
Side Plank (Each Side)
Single Dumbbell Warmup
20 Seconds Each Side
With Lighter Weight:
Single Dumbbell Deadlift (Between Legs)
Single Dumbbell Russian Swings
Single Dumbbell Strict Press
Dumbbell Ankle Stretch: 30 Seconds Each Side
Dumbbell Squat Hold: 1 Minute
Dumbbell Assisted Straddle Stretch: 1 Minute
Dumbbell Warrior Squats: 1 Minute
- With your score being the slowest round, look to stay consistent across the board
- Holding back just a touch in the first round can be helpful with this
- A plan that could work to allow for slightly improved times each round is:
- Maintain the same devil press break-up plan and squat cycle time
- Look to get slightly faster on the machine each round
- With the screen right in front of you, it is easier to track your pace
- Look to increase your wattage or power slightly with each new round
- Alternating Dumbbell Snatches
- Barbell Power Snatches [Light]
- Odd Object Ground to Overhead Video
- Kettlebell Swings
- Slamballs Video
Extra Work (before or after class)
Front Pause Squat for load, working up in weight.
Off the rack for 2 reps
*Pause 3 seconds at the bottom
CFR Endurance WOD – 28 minutes
*Reminder – An endurance workout is offered every Tue and Thur alongside our regular workout. These endurance workouts typically include a longer time duration, lighter weights combined with extra running, rowing, skiing, or air biking. If you do not finish them or feel they are too challenging due to total time of work, feel free to scale or adjust the time occasionally.
As many rounds + reps/cals as possible in 12 minutes of…
14 Single Arm Devil Presses 35/25
18 Single DB Goblet Squats 35/25
22/16 Calorie Bike or 26/18 Calorie Row or Ski
Rest 4 minutes then at minute 16… repeat. Scores will be added together.