*Based on the nature of our lightweight/bodyweight movements and with a longer conditioning workout today, the daily workout will also be the endurance workout
“Action is the fundamental key to all success.” – Picasso
There is no substitute for action. This is not breaking news.
Everyone has big plans. Big aspirations. The blueprint to “get there”. As integral as it is to have a plan, this is the easy part. And it’s where most stop, because it’s about to get hard.
A famous old American cartoon, “G.I. Joe”, finished every show with a saying: “Knowing is half the battle”. Despite the right intentions behind it, we recognize now it’s a false statement.
Knowing is not half the battle.
It’s not even a quarter.
It’s the first 10%, if that.
Action is 90%.
Strength/Accessory – 12 minutes
On the 2:00 x 6 Sets:
5 Weighted Strict Pull-ups
WEIGHTED STRICT PULL-UP [15:00-30:00]
- Athletes will complete a set of weighted strict pull-ups every 2 minutes
- These sets of 5 are designed to be completed unbroken
- Athletes can hang as needed in the bottom between reps
- Athletes who aren’t quite ready for weighted can simply look to choose a band that is lighter than they typically use in order to build strength
- There is the option to increase in weight (or decrease assistance) or stay at one challenging weight (or assistance) across
- Enter the weight added for all 6 sets, if no weight added then say “0”. Place what you used in the notes.
Conditioning and Endurance WOD – 18 minutes
As many calories as possible in 18 minutes of…
Max Calorie Machine
Every 3 Minutes [Starting at 0:00]:
50 Double Unders
WORKOUT BRIEF [0:00-5:00]
- We have two parts to today’s workout, starting with some weighted strict pull-ups
- In order to build in some recovery time, a new round begins every 2 minutes [0-2-4-6-8-10]
- The 5 reps within that 2-minute window are designed to be completed unbroken
- Athletes have the option to increase weight with each set or stay at one load across
- These are to be performed with the palms facing away from the body
- Our metcon that follows is scored as total calories accumulated over the 18 minutes
- The jump rope and burpees every 3 minutes will interrupt our progress on the machine
- Complete the listed reps on the rope and burpees before moving back to the machine
- Rope and burpees happen on the [0-3-6-9-12-15]
- These should take no more than 2 minutes to complete, giving you at least 1 minute on the machine
- Choose a rep number or variation that takes 1 minute or less to complete
GENERAL WARM-UP [5:00-12:00]
1 Minute Easy
40 Seconds Moderate
20 Seconds Faster
WEIGHTED STRICT PULL-UP
The Big 3
- With the second part of today’s workout being filled with familiar movements, we’ll focus in on the weighted pull-up, a movement that we are less accustomed to
- The big three pieces we’ll talk through in our Daily Video are:
- Positioning the Weight
- Bar Height Selection
- Gripping the Bar
- 10 Scap Pull-ups Video
- 3-5 Strict Pull-ups
- 1-3 Weighted Strict Pull-ups (Lighter Weight)
PRACTICE ROUND [30:00-35:00]
5 Calorie Machine
10 Double Unders
STRATEGY + WOD [35:00-60:00]
- When approaching this workout, it can be helpful to envision doing a 20-minute machine for calories
- In this hypothetical workout, how many calories do you see yourself holding consistently “on the minute”?
- This will likely be somewhere between 10-15 calories depending on the athlete
- With around 1:00-1:30 to work on the machine, we can look to complete somewhere in the ballpark of this number
- Rather than thinking of “how many calories can I get total in the workout?” we can think “how many calories can I get this round without slowing down the next round?”
- With other movements to be completed, consistent intensity over the 6 rounds is better than absolute intensity early in the workout followed by a gradual decline in calories
- Reduce Reps
- 1 Minute of Practice
- 75 Single Unders (1.5x)
- 50 Double Taps
Extra Work (before or after class)
- 3×8 Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats (Each Leg)
- 3×10 Strict Toes to Bar
- 3×100′ Single Kettlebell Farmers Carry (Each Side)
Rest as Needed Between Sets