“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has already taken place”. – George Bernard Shaw
Have you ever believed that you were on the same page with someone, but, as it turned out, not even close?
Sometimes we can be so sure that we have communicated everything properly, that we don’t even consider it to be a possibility.
Happens all the time, and definitely to all of us. What’s interesting, is that it’s never about effort, or the lack thereof. It’s about perspective.
What we actually don’t want to do, is “communicate” more. Part of it might actually need less.
What we may need, is to understand more. To place ourselves in their shoes. If I were them, what questions would I have? If I were them, how would I feel about this?
The illusion that Shaw refers to in the quote is the entrapment of our perspective.
Detach and think… if roles were reversed, is this clear?
Strength – 15 minutes
Complete 6 sets of 3 strict shoulder press… build in weight as you go! (NO BEND IN THE KNEES! NO DIP!)
*Off the rack
Conditioning WOD – 15 min cap
Burpee Box Overs (24″/20″)
Power Clean & Jerks (135/95)
- Score = Time it takes to complete the workout
WORKOUT BRIEF [0:00-5:00]
- Ooooo an ascending rep scheme that will steal the soul. It’s sneaky.
- 8:00-12:00 workout – see time ranges below:
- Round of 9 = ~1:30-2:00
- Round of 15 = ~3:00-4:00
- Round of 21 = ~4:00-6:00
- 45 reps of each movement
- The Burpee Box Over is a naturally slower movement. Generally, the BBJO it will take anywhere from :3-:5 per rep.
- The Power Clean & Jerk adds to more “bending over” and the legs will feel very heavy. This may create a high hip/rounding of the lower back at the bottom of the lift. Take care to lower the hips and lift the chest hard to maintain a neutral spine. Generally, one PC&J will take between :2-:5
GENERAL WARM-UP [5:00-10:00]
- :30 Box Step ups to 20”
- :30 Active Spiderman Video
- :30 Glute Bridges Video
- :30 Box Step ups to workout height
PVC “GRACE” (30 Clean and Jerks) – Ooooo fun! 😉
SPECIFIC WARM-UP / TEACHING [10:00-22:00]
BURPEE BOX OVER (4:00)
Focus: Step up. Jump. Land proud. Turn on top. Step Off
- Simple, but like all things, we can make it more efficient.
- A stagger-step to the box often makes it easier to jump on the box.
- We are looking to avoid a collapsed spine when landing on the box.
- Land with a proud chest, on a half turn, step off and jump back up.
Movement Prep – Burpee Box Jump Over (Coach Led)
- 6 Burpee Lunge Up – Stand – Jump – Step & Turn
POWER CLEAN & JERK (8:00)
Focus: Grip: Finding the ideal width and style – INFORMATIONAL
- Similar to the stance in the Air Squat (yesterday), we start with a baseline grip of slightly outside legs and shoulders. This works for most people, most of the time. But, there are exceptions.
- Check-points for ideal grip include:
- Arms straight in the set-up; elbows forward of the bar in receiving position; bar over the frontal plane with locked out arms overhead.
Movement Prep – Power Clean & Jerk (Coach Led)
(Pause athletes in receiving positions for the clean and overhead presses)
- 3 Deadlift – Call: “Stand & Reset” / Coaches look for straight bar path
- 3 Deadlift to Shrug – Call: “Go!” / Coaches look for FULL leg extension before shrug
- 3 Power Clean + Strict Press – Call: “Go! Stand. Press. Reset.” / Coaches look for full extension and locked out arms over head
- 3 Power Clean + Push Press – Call: “Go! Stand. Go! Reset.” / Coaches look for full extension and locked out arms over head
- 3 x 1 Power Clean + 1 Push Jerk – Call: “Go! Stand. Go! Stand. Reset.” / Coaches look for full extension and locked out arms over head
- 3 Power Clean & Jerk – Call “Go! Stand. Go! Stand. Reset.”
4 Sets of 5 Reps
Power Clean & Jerk
(Build load across the sets. The second loading on the barbell will likely be an optimal load.
PRACTICE ROUND & BATHROOM BREAK [30:00-35:00]
1 Round – w/ workout weight
4 Burpee Box Overs
4 Power Clean & Jerks
2 Burpee Box Overs
2 Power Clean & Jerks
EFFICIENCY TIPS (FOR ATHLETES)
- Unless you are able to hold onto fast repetitions for the Burpee Box Over, choose a speed/style that will allow you to move with purpose (with quality, speed, but not all-out). The time needed to recover from doing these too fast will be significant if we go out too hot.
- If you are a “big-set” kind of athlete, pick a big set for each round, and then go to to a number that doesn’t require too much rest. If you are a singles ninja, then hit singles from the get-go. Single Clean & Jerks will definitely preserve the hamstrings a little more.
[General Order – 1) Intensity via loads, reps/distance, time 2) Movements via modifications, substitutions or replacement (injury)]
BURPEE BOX OVERS
- Reduce Box Height
- Burpee Step-Over/Box Step Ups
- Burpees Facing an Object
- Burpee Broad Jumps
POWER CLEAN & JERKS
- Decrease Load/Reps
- Hang Clean and Jerks
- DB Clean & Jerks
[Designed for members wanting a little more – to be completed outside of the 60-minute class]
3 Sets For Quality:
- 8 Half Kneeling Landmine Press
- 8 Dual Dumbbell Prone Row
- 15 Banded Triceps Extension
Reminder – An endurance workout is offered every Tue and Thur alongside our regular workout. These endurance workouts typically include a longer time duration, lighter weights combined with extra running, rowing, skiing, or air biking. If you do not finish them or feel they are too challenging due to total time of work, feel free to scale or adjust the time occasionally.
CFR Endurance – 35 minute cap
4 rounds for time of…
40/30 Calorie Machine
30 Strict Shoulder Presses (75/55)
20 Burpee Box Overs 20″
10 Double DB Clean and Jerks (50s/35s) *Tap one head of DB on ground