Strength – 10 minutes
Every minute on the minute complete 1 squat clean.
*Load weight quickly between sets as you’ll have a very limited time of rest here… setting a new personal best isn’t out of the question, but with this little of recovery time, the goal is to work heavy a few minutes in a row developing the ability to do heavy loads repeatedly.
**“The most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe.” – Albert Einstein**
We don’t get what we want.
We get what we expect.
The world will treat us the way we expect to be treated. If we believe it’s “dog eat dog”, and “every man for himself”, then we are doomed to believe so. The lens we’ll see through will be of defensiveness, comparison, and general hostility… even when it’s not even there to begin with.
But the opposite can also be true.
Our expectations become our realities.
It’s not good enough to want it. We have to believe it.
Front Squats (115/85)
Kettlebell Swings (70/55)
Lateral Burpees Over Barbell
* Score = Time taken to complete the workout
WORKOUT BRIEF [0:00-5:00]
* 12:00-18:00 workout.
* Loading should allow for 1-3 sets across all movements.
* We can aim to clear the first round of 21’s between 3:00-4:00.
* The common movement pattern across all three movements is hip flexion and extension. Maintaining a neutral and strong spine will be key!
GENERAL WARM-UP [5:00-11:00]
* 1:30 Squat Hold [Video](youtu.be/OGX6HruOy0s)
* :30 Samson Stretch (each side) [Video](youtu.be/V3-tEdWuTbc)
* :30 Shoulder to Floor Stretch [Video](youtu.be/D0li2U56nO4)
SPECIFIC WARM-UP / TEACHING [11:00-25:00]
KETTLEBELL SWING (4:00) – [Demo](youtu.be/x8CX2dv-3ro)
**Focus: ‘Long Arm’ Swing vs. ‘Pull to Punch’ Swing**
* Keeping the arms straight and long throughout the movement is easier on the grip, but a slower movement overall rep for rep.
* Using a ‘Pull to Punch’ style of swing is quicker, but more challenging on the grip.
Movement Prep [Instruction](youtu.be/Eja0O9wUWx4)
* 6 Swing to Hip – *(Coaches Focus: Stand fast)*
* 6 Swing to Eyes – *(Coaches Focus: Stand fast, arms pull to eyes)*
* 6 Kettlebell Swings – *(Coaches Focus: 3 long arm swings + 3 punch to pulll swings)*
* 6 Kettlebell Swings to :3 Overhead Hold – *(Coaches Focus: Assess for control and straight arms overhead)*
FRONT SQUAT (9:00)
**Focus: Maintaining a neutral spine**
* When initiating the Front Squat we will push the hips back and lift the elbows and chest.
* This can be a good cue, but it can also create a loss of midline (aka breaking the pelvis away from the spine).
* We want to send the hips back and allow the shoulders to come slightly forward on the descent.
Movement Prep – Coach Led
* Barbell Warm-Up – 3 reps of each [Video](youtu.be/Ff_dtGJKgxM)
*Barbell Front Squats all with a pause at the bottom*
* 5-8 Barbell Front Squats – *(Coaches Focus: Hips track backwards, shoulders come slightly forward)*
* 5 Front Squats w/ a light load – *(Coaches Focus: Assess for loss of neutral spine)*
LATERAL BURPEE OVER THE BAR (1:00) – [Demo](youtu.be/jnBCEVd-c3U)
* 6 Lateral Burpee Over the Bar
PRACTICE ROUND & BATHROOM BREAK [25:00-30:00]
**1 Round – w/ workout weight**
* 4 Front Squats
* 4 Kettlebell Swings
* 4 Lateral Burpees Over Bar
* 2 Front Squats
* 2 Kettlebell Swings
* 2 Lateral Burpees Over Bar
STRATEGY/EFFICIENCY TIPS (FOR ATHLETES)
* The more the bar can sit on the shoulders, the easier on the wrists. Choose the grip that allows for this.
* If the loading is light, challenge yourself to go unbroken on every set. If it’s a little heavier, try to clear all sets in less than 3 sets.
* Take a quick breath before putting the hands on the ground aka ‘Breathing Burpees”.
**[General Order – 1) Intensity via loads, reps/distance, time 2) Movements via modifications, substitutions or replacement (injury)]**
* Decrease Load/Reps
* Decrease Range of Motion (Squat to a Target)
* Dumbbell/Kettlebell Goblet Squats
* Decrease Load/Reps
* Decrease range of motion (Russian swings to eye level)
* Single DB Swings
BURPEES OVER THE BARBELL
* Step over bar
* Burpees in place
* “No Push-up” Burpees
**3 Sets For Quality:**
* 8 Alternating Top Down Dumbbell Bench Press
* 8 Single Arm Dumbbell Row
* 8 Kettlebell Halo Each Direction