Please welcome our long-time member and now newest CFR Coach, Anita Warner!
“I grew up a Navy brat and had the opportunity to live on both coasts. To adjust to moving, I participated in a lot of sports as a way to get to know everyone. I loved being active and the competitiveness of sports. Fast forward several years and 3 kids later, I realized how much I missed the challenge. I had spent several years in a “traditional” gym, dedicating my life to the elliptical machine. After watching my first CrossFit games I was intrigued by the variety of events and skills they were demonstrating, so I joined CrossFit Republic.
My CrossFit journey has it’s ups and downs but I wouldn’t trade any of it. I have learned so much about myself and what’s important to me. Those moments when you reach a goal provides a level of confidence you rarely find anywhere else. My goal as a coach is to now help athletes achieve their goals and have them experience those same feelings of accomplishment!
“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I’ll remember. Involve me, and I’ll learn.” – Benjamin Franklin
The musician doesn’t learn by listening. The musician learns, by playing. It’s how the mind, in its ever plastic state, adapts. It responds to application.
In the “Cone of Learning” (Edgar Dale), we learn:
10% of what we read.
20% of what we hear.
30% of what we see.
50% of what we hear and see.
70% of what we say and write.
90% of what we actually participate in.
Information without application, is knowledge.
Information with application, is wisdom.
Conditioning WOD – 30 min cap
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of:
Strict Presses (115/85)
After Each Set:
10/7 Calorie Machine
10 Toes To Bar
WORKOUT BRIEF [0:00 – 5:00]
- Today’s workout centers around our weightlifting movement: the strict press
- After each round of descending rep strict press, you’ll complete some machine calories and toes to bar
- Your score is the total time it takes to complete the 10 rounds
- We expect this workout to take between 20-25 minutes to complete
- Choose a light-moderate barbell weight that you could complete for 15+ unbroken reps when fresh
- This should be a weight that allows you to complete the bigger rounds (10-9-8-7-6) within 2 sets
- We’ll take the barbell from the floor here, not out of a rack
GENERAL WARM-UP [5:00-12:00]
With Light Dumbbell:
30 Seconds Machine (Faster in 2nd Round)
30 Seconds Dumbbell Plank Taps Video
30 Seconds Kneeling Single Dumbbell Strict Press (30 Seconds Each) Video
5 Good Mornings
5 Back Squats
5 Elbow Rotations
5 Strict Press & Reach
5 Romanian Deadlifts
5 Front Squats
Front Rack Stretch: 1 Minute
Chest Stretch on Wall: 1 Minute Each Side
Barbell Thoracic Opener: 2 Minutes
TEACHING + SPECIFIC WARMUP [18:00 – 25:00]
We have toes to bar in the workout, which are mainly a midline movement. In the strict press, we also want to use our midline. However, the goal here is to prevent excess movement through the spine. It is common here to overextend as we press the weight overhead. A lot of this is based on the weight and fatigue, but also on shoulder mobility. We’re going to run through a few drills to both test and train keeping a stable midline when pressing overhead.
1 Minute Wall Slides
45 Second PVC Flexion Test
30 Second Kneeling Strict Press (15 Each Side)
15 Seconds Strict Press (Standing)
PRACTICE ROUND [25:00-30:00]
With Workout Weight:
4 Strict Presses
10 Cal Machine
10 AbMat Sit-ups
STRATEGY + WOD [30:00-60:00]
- This workout is all about the strict press
- With it being a strict movement, we want to break at the right time to preserve our press
- Pushing through slow reps and reaching near failure will force a long rest before being able to start the next set
- Break these reps before you have to grind out slow reps
- Consider breaking the first 5 rounds (higher reps) into 2 sets
- You may be able to work through unbroken sets through the final 5 rounds (lower reps)
- Since the strict press isn’t a high heart rate movement and there isn’t any interference, you can afford to move quickly through the toes to bar and the machine
- Note that there will be a lot less rest between the machine and toe to bar efforts as the strict press reps decrease
- 2x Single Dumbbell Strict Press Video
- 2x Single Dumbbell Goblet Strict Press Video
- 2x Odd Object Strict Press Video
- Equal Reps Hand Release Push-ups
10 Toes to Bar
- Knees to elbows
- Toes high
- Toes to Rig
- 10 Abmat Situps
OPTION 1 – Extra work (before or after class)
5 Rounds for time:
250 Meter Row
25′ Handstand Walk
5 Bar Muscle-ups
25′ Handstand Walk
*Scale walking with 3 wall walks per 25′ or double DB hold over head for 30 seconds
OPTION 2 – Extra Work (before or after class)
Use this progression building in weight as you go…
7 – 5 – 3 – 3 – 2 – 2 – 1 – 1
*Rest as needed between sets
*no percentages here. Take this as heavy as you want or use as a form session. If you set a new personal best, make sure to tell us all about it! We like winning! 🙂