“How long are you going to wait until you demand the best of yourself?” – Epictetus
“Tomorrow” is one of the most comfortable words in our vocabulary. It’s safe, cozy, and easy.
It’s hard, uncomfortable, and often not all that “fun”. But what is far more uncomfortable, far more painful, is realizing that we’ve waited too long… and that it’s too late.
It’s easy to chalk up this current moment as “not our best moment”. That a better day will come to start that thing. That we just aren’t quite ready yet. Not today. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week. Next month. Next year.
To heck with that.
We don’t wait for the stars align. We’ll align them ourselves. Epictetus challenges us to recommit to ourselves. To demand our best, today.
Strength – 12 minutes
Every 2 minutes on the minute complete the clean complex (6 sets)…
Hang Power Clean (above knee) + Push Jerk + Power Clean (from ground) + Split Jerk
*This must be unbroken – the only time you can rest is the bar in the front rack or hanging at the hips. Must be touch n go off the ground on a complex.
*Increase in weight as you go, reaching a max complex for the day
*Coaches – don’t feel you have to spend much time on the split jerk, rather spend time on the entire complex, allowing a few minutes for athletes to play with the positions before starting
Conditioning WOD – 20 min cap
4 Round for time of…
21/15 Calorie Bike
15 Toes to Bar
7 Power Clean and Jerks 155/105
- Balanced triplet workout
- One cardio, one gymnastics, one weightlifting station
- Looking for a 14-18 Minute Workout
- Around 3:30-4:30 per round
TOES TO BAR
- Choose a variation you can complete in 1-3 sets per round
CLEAN & JERKS
- Choose a weight you’ll be able to grind through good looking quick singles with
- 2 minute stagger if short on machines
- Bike Sub if needed:
- Equal Calorie Row
TOES TO BAR
During the kip, it is common to see athletes look down towards the ground in the arch position and up at the bar when trying to make contact with the feet. Looking down in the arch can limit the size of athletes kip and restrict their breathing. Looking up can cause them to have to travel a further distance. While looking up at the bar seems to make sense, it actually further opens the angle that athletes must close to make contact. The feet have to travel a further distance than if they were to look forward. Looking straight ahead throughout the whole movement will help make these reps more efficient.
Feet as High as Possible
Knees to Chest
POWER CLEAN & JERK
“No Feet” Clean
We’ll introduce two newer drills today that will help us get under the weight, instead of jumping the feet out wide. The first one in the “no feet” power clean. Athletes will start with their feet already in the receiving position. As they power clean the barbell, the feet will stay grounded in the finish position. Not moving the feet forces athletes to drive longer with their legs and move their hips down instead of jumping the feet out.
Tall Push Jerk
The tall push jerk has a similar benefit to the “no feet” power clean. It helps athletes find an aggressive drop underneath and can improve timing and accuracy. Athletes will start at full hip, knee, and ankle extension with the bar at forehead height. All the upward movement is done. The only place to go from here is down. Athletes will then aggressively drop underneath the barbell to catch locked out overhead.
5 “No Feet” Power Cleans
5 Tall Push Jerks
5 Power Clean & Jerks
- Knowing that we’re likely going for singles on the barbell and pacing the bike, let’s be aggressive with our toes to bar sets today
- Instead of breaking these up like we always do, this is a good opportunity to reset our standard for toe to bar workouts
- Whatever you’d typically do, try and bite off bigger chunks
- Whether it works well or not, it is a great chance to grow and learn
- Quite a bit of time spent on the bike today
- Not a throw away station
- Find the max pace that still allows for big sets of toes to bar
TOES TO BAR
- Let’s plan to go for bigger sets than usual
- 15 straight, 8-7, and 6-5-4 will be popular options
POWER CLEAN & JERK
- Quick singles are the best option